We have developed some guidelines to help our admins manage posts on our Facebook group:
- Postings are allowed from anyone who has joined the group; they do not have to be paid-up LCC members.
- Postings should be cycling related and have some local impact (either directly or by comparison with other cities/regions).
- Advertising for commercial products and services is not generally allowed and such posts may be removed by an admin. Advertisers will be warned and persistent offenders may be removed from the group.
- Advertising of services or an event being run by a local community-based group shall be allowed if relevant to the group.
- Postings which appear to be personal attacks on another member of the group shall be removed and the poster advised and warned about their behaviour.
- Postings which are clearly and openly offensive towards groups protected under Equality legislation (and/or any minority other groups we also consider deserving of protection) shall be removed as soon as practicable and the poster blocked or removed from the group.
- Postings which appear to be derogatory towards groups protected under Equality legislation (and/or any minority other groups we also consider deserving of protection) shall be challenged and if severe or persistent be removed without further warning.
- Apparent “trolling” should be called out by an admin and clearly abusive or obsessional posts shall be removed. Consideration shall also given to removing or blocking the poster concerned.
- Postings which are clearly spam shall be removed as soon as practicable and the spammer blocked.
- Postings which appear to be hijacked or diverted into a fruitless discussion on an unrelated issue (for example helmet use) shall be curtailed after provision of a link to a website offering unbiased views.
- In the event of uncertainty admins shall discuss with other admins any posts they feel may contravene the above guidelines and a decision on action shall be taken collectively. Moderation may be used for posts from individuals we are unsure of.
- Admins shall inform other admins about postings they have removed or group members for whom they have switched on moderation or whom they have blocked or removed. Serious issues that the admins cannot resolve collectively shall be escalated to the Committee.
Leeds Cycling Campaign September 2016